Summer is almost over but we still have a strong month of films to look forward to. Let’s close out August with the Guys Girl Summer Movie Preview!
(Denzel Washington, Mark Wahlberg, Paula Patton, Bill Paxton)
+ A DEA agent and a Navy officer are caught in a double cross involving millions of dollars.
+ Based on a comic book series by Steven Grant
+ Two of Hollywood’s most charismatic leading men, action, and humor
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters
(Logan Lerman, Alexandra Daddario, Stanley Tucci, Nathan Fillion)
+ Based on Rick Riordan’s books, this is the 2nd Percy Jackson adaptation
+ Looks more action packed than first movie
– Not sure how close to the book the movie will be
– Still getting Harry Potter comparisons
(Matt Damon, Jodie Foster)
+ Latest from Writer/Director Neil Blomkamp (District 9)
+ Sci-fi story where wealthy class live above Earth in Elysium, while poorer people are left on desolate Earth
+ Blomkamp did a great job with District 9, on a small budget. Elysium costs $100 million and looks more interesting than films with twice that budget
We’re The Millers
(Jason Sudeikis, Jennifer Anniston, Emma Roberts, Ed Helms)
+ A fake family is assembled to ship weed from Mexico to the U.S.
+ Apparently Jennifer Aniston is frozen in time to look like she’s still 25. Or, she works out like crazy.
– Doesn’t look very funny. Trailer might ruin TLC’s “Waterfalls” song for you
– Except for Jennifer Aniston looking amazing, none of the trailer is memorable
(Dane Cook, Stacy Keach, Brad Garrett)
+ A crop dusting plane is afraid of heights but wants to compete in a race. (So, Turbo in the air?)
– Disney originally intended this to be straight to DVD
– Spin-off from the world of “Cars” but supposedly NOT made by Pixar
– Looks like Disney is selling more toys than tickets with this one.
(Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Chloe Grace Moretz, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Jim Carrey)
+ Sequel to Mark Millar comic book movie about real-life heroes
+ Looks just as violent and funny as the first
– Jim Carrey has publicly spoken against the violence in this film. Did he not see the first one or read the script?
(Harrison Ford, Gary Oldman, Liam Hemsworth, Amber Heard)
+ Harrison Ford’s dramatic performances in his older age have been better than his action movies. Crystal Skulls anyone?
(Ashton Kutcher, Josh Gad, J.K. Simmons)
+ Biopic about tech mogul Steve Jobs
+ Ashton Kutcher’s performance looks interesting
– Wonder how much liberty Hollywood takes with the script. Hoping for more real events than “reel” ones.
The World’s End
(Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Martin Freeman, Rosamund Pike)
+ From the crew that created Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz
+ Five friends on a pub crawl notice something strange about their hometown.
(Sharni vinson, Nicholas Tucci, AJ Bowen)
+ The Davison family gets attacked by strangers with creepy masks
+ Looks similar to The Strangers, which could be a VERY good thing
(Ethan Hawke, Selena Gomez, Jon Voight, Paul Freeman)
+ A man must stay behind the wheel of a car to save his kidnapped wife
+ Ethan Hawke’s career has been revived in a big way
– Selena Gomez looks very out of place in the trailer
That’s all folks! We have a few weeks of blockbusters lined up. Keep it here on Guys Girl for your entertainment news! See you at the movies!