There are 32 teams in the National Football League (NFL) but which teams were the originals and which teams have moved or changed names along the way? We’re breaking it all down for you:
There are 6 original teams still in their original city since the NFL formed.
There are six original teams still in their original city since the NFL formed. These teams are:
- Chicago Bears (1920) – Still play at Soldier Field, which opened in 1924
- Arizona Cardinals (1923) – Play at State Farm Stadium, which opened in 2006
- Detroit Lions (1930) – Still play at Ford Field, which opened in 2002
- Green Bay Packers (1921) – Still play at Lambeau Field, which opened in 1957
- New York Giants (1925) – Now play at MetLife Stadium on the same site as Giants Stadium from 1976-2009
In 1920 the teams that made up the NFL were:
- Akron Pros
- Buffalo All-Americans
- Decatur Staleys
- Rock Island Independents
- Dayton Triangles
- Chicago Cardinals
- Canton Bulldogs
- Cleveland Tigers
- Detroit Heralds
- Chicago Tigers
- Columbus Panhandles
- Muncie Flyers
- Rochester Jeffersons
- Hammond Pro
NFL teams that have moved:
- The San Diego Chargers have moved to Los Angeles.
- The Cleveland Browns have moved to Baltimore and then back to Cleveland.
- The Houston Oilers moved to Tennessee.
- The Baltimore Colts moved to Indianapolis.
- The New Orleans Saints were founded in 1967 as the expansion team in the AFL, but they joined the NFL when it merged with its rival league in 1970.
- In 1999, the Oakland Raiders left Oakland for Los Angeles before moving back after only one season there; they now play near Las Vegas where they were originally based in 1960-1961 (though technically then named “Las Vegas”).
The NFL has grown to have over 300 teams, with many more players and fans than ever before. The league continues to thrive because of the hard work and dedication from all of these people who make it possible for us fans to enjoy watching a game on Sundays or any other day of the week.
Below is a breakdown of the teams currently in the NFL and which conference and division they belong to (for now):